Monday, August 5, 2013

To Be Content

Contentment - achievable in this ever-changing world? A form of laziness? An excuse?

Take your pick…but I believe it's a high calling from our God. In my planned one-year Bible read-through (and yes…I'm behind, but still going!), I am currently in Philippians. As I read chapter 4, verse I found this:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 
~Philippians 4:11-13

Beautiful, inspiring words written by one of my favorites, Paul.  He had grand faith and little faith. He was strong and weak. He struggled…just like me. I just didn't do it in a Roman prison, he did. If he can be 'content' in chains, I can be content whatever my circumstance! 

Watch a toddler play…you'll learn about contentment. Buy him expensive toys that takes hours of labor to figure out which screw goes into "part A" and where the heck did "part B" go…and he'll play in the box it came in. Buy him the latest trendy shoes and name-brand fashion…and he'll remove the shoes and be content to run barefoot and roll around in the grass. (Maybe toddler girls are different?!? :) ).  Search Pinterest for the latest and greatest toddler activity until your mouse batteries run dead…but he'll still be content to watch a piece of round chalk roll down the driveway and disappear into a day lily. He's fine just being around the ones he loves…content. 


I recently heard as parents, we are given (God-willing) about 938 weeks until they turn 18 and leave home. That's not a lot of time to be worried about stuff that won't matter in 939 weeks. Instead, today, I choose to focus on the stuff that matters now and to be content with what I do have to offer and what I get to do with my kids. After all, I've already lost 113 of those with my Graham and 9 of those with my Emmett.  I'll find contentment in chalk drawings with purple leaves thanks to the help of a two year old or in tracing little feet praying they always walk in His way or reminding my son (for the 230974th time) that we use our two God-given ears to listen. 




Whether you turn to the right of to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, 
saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
~Isaiah 30:21


Contentment is now seen as a high calling that I can press on towards while claiming his promises:

I have His help to settle the unsettled places in my heart (Isaiah 26:3-4)
I am lead to and can rest besides quiet waters (Psalm 23)
I owe it all to Him (1 Timothy 6:6-7)

In a world of constant status updates, pinterest posts, and an overwhelming struggle to compare to others…I choose to be content in my MOMents I'm given….
Rachel

PS - I do love me a good Pinterest post!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Great writing! So beautifully put! I <3 me some Pinterest too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful thoughts! thank you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really got lost in your description of a toddler's "contentment." Wonderful thoughts for today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete