Thursday, August 22, 2013

Good Hurt, Bad Hurt - it all hurts

That hurts.

Physical, emotional, spiritual, mental…all can be hurt.

We use these phrases to comfort ourselves and others:

But it's a good hurt
It only hurts for a little while
This will only hurt a little bit
The hurt was worth it
God can heal the hurt

Truth? Hurt hurts when you're going through it. Period.

I don't care if it is a 'good hurt' that 'only lasts a short time' and was 'worth it in the end'. Hurt hurts. I don't need to shower this post with examples of how life hurts us. You all have your own stories, trials, and situations that are either personal hurt or something with a loved one that makes you hurt for them. The only common point - hurt hurts when you're in the middle of it.

The pain of fear, rejection, unworthiness, feeling unloved, punishment, betrayal, harsh words, harm, actions, poor choices, our past……….

But Christ. A turning point, our salvation, our refuge.

I hurt because of betrayal, but Christ says 'vengeance is mine'. (Romans 12:19)

I hurt because of the fighting, but Christ says 'The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.' (Exodus 14:14)

I hurt because of harsh words spoken against me, but Christ says 'Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.' (Matthew 5:44)

I just hurt Lord, but Christ says 'come to me, all who labor and are heavy lade, and I will give you rest…For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.' (Matthew 11:28,30)

I hurt alone, but Christ says 'when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me'. (Micah 7:8)

Hold fast to the promises Christ makes to us through His word. He is a God of justice and of love. He will hold those who hurt us accountable (and hold us accountable in how we react and respond).

Praising even in hurtful MOMents…
Rachel


1 comment: