Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shadows and Light

Shadows and Light

My 2 and (almost) a 1/2 year old is now both interested and terrified of shadows.  He will both look for shadows and tell me they scare him. 

Shadows can scare me too baby!  As I'm trying to explain this to him with both very shallow and yet a somehow deeper explanation, God spoke to me. (See my previous post, He speaks grandly through the simple!). I'm racking my brain to remember the Scripture about darkness fleeing in the presence of light.  I can't remember even old or new testament, but I know it's there! 

James 1:5 - The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. 

This point was illustrated multiple times in our house, much to the pleasure of our power company and not so much to my bill-paying husband.  :) People outside must have wondered what was going on with our lights as they flicked on and off multiple times. Little did they know, I was imparting wisdom on my child. You see, I had to show that in darkness, there are shadows and yet as soon as the light comes on, the darkness immediately is gone. Darkness doesn't have a choice, it can't dilly-dally it's way away when the lights come on. The reaction is immediate and my child's fear was gone! So, in the true presence of our Light (Christ Jesus), darkness (evil, death, sin, sadness) immediately is gone! (AMEN!)

Another hope I learned is that with scary shadows, there is the promise of light, somewhere. You see, to create a shadow, light must be close. Yes, darkness is closer, but light is near. With complete darkness, there are no shadows, yet with even a sliver of light, shadows are created! 

So…to quote one of my favorite versus (so much so, we named our second son after this very scripture!) ---- James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Light, who does not change like the shifting shadows. 

Looking for light in the MOMent of shadows…
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. So true. Always better when we can turn the light on and see there is nothing to fear! Love you!

    ReplyDelete